Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thing 1 and 2

Does the title of this post remind anyone else of Dr. Seuss's Thing 1 and Thing 2? That is immediately what I thought of when I wrote it and it reminds me that I just recommended this as a great literary and simple costume for new librarians at Halloween. It also reminds me that I need to dig out my trusty and dusty Happy HalloREADING shirt for next week!

I also want to admit right up front that I do not 'get' blogs. I do not like writting about my thoughts and opinions and having written evidence of these to begin with, but to write them AND post them on the internet just seems crazy to me. I like the format of blogs and know that they have USES. I like that I can use it to post jobs for new librarians and it lists them with the newest ones first. I like how the Carnegie Public Library uses theirs to reach teens, and I like how some people use it as sort of a newsletter for their library or business. I have read Gail Fireman's great article about blogging and have visited many blogs. However, I just do not understand why individuals would post their own lives on blogs and open themselves up to criticism. This is actually my second blog, my first was an assignment for a graduate class and in the end I was posting things like "This is my fourth post. I hope you like it." It seemed somewhat pointless an exercise to me. I invite you to change my mind, but I am also puzzled as to why anyone would want to read someone else's blog! Don't you have anything better to do?

Oh yeah, the homework: Which of the 7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners did I think was hardest and easiest and why? I think that I am best at beginning with the end in mind and using technology to my advantage, maybe because I am very young and have grown up with these pieces of technology as everyday tools and because I have goals and want to work towards them. I think that for me, playing is the hardest. I know this sounds odd, but I am so focused on my goals, so focused, and such a loner that 'playing' comes harder to me than to others.

1 comment:

Not Harry's Mom said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Dr. Seuss with Thing 1 and Thing 2!