I am a little overwhelmed after this weekend with Bridget and looking over the first 15 'things.' However, it did help me to read Michael Stephens' post about library web 2.0 because now everything is in perspective. It was and is good to learn about the new tools and technology available over the internet and in the web 2.0 world and there are a LOT of them, and I have to admit that most are impressive and make us as librarians look impressive. I need to keep learning about each of these tools so that I can evaluate each for myself and determine which are worthwhile and which are just worthless. However, I am a big believer in looking deeper and beneath the surface to the true content. Some of these are just that: an impressive facade, and we need to remember our primary goal is to serve students and teach them to use and access information and find the joy in reading. (This is what I believe the true goal of school librarianship is, but I have always had trouble defining it with others in the field and I always wonder if I am correct.)
I can see how some can have trouble controlling their technolust, as Michael Stephens would put it, because some of these tools are really great on the surface. However when I ask myself how does this help my students, what objective are we meeting by using this technology, I find that sometimes we are just using technology just to use technology. That is wrong. Do first graders need to use PhotoStory to make a pretty story to demonstrate the concept of beginning, middle and end? No. Does it look impressive? Yes. However, when I think of all the extra work that entails and the fact that the first graders simply needed to hear their own stories aloud, I think that we would just be using technology to use technology. As Harry Wong would put it, the person doing all the work is the person learning and the person doing all the work in that situation is the librarian scanning pictures and recording and saving stories.
I can also see that I need to embrace Web 2.0 tools where needed. I would like to teach my 6th graders to use PhotoStory because I want them to see how research presentations can be presented using tools other than PowerPoint and to evaluate how the presentation and information is what is most important, not the pretty pictures or fancy music. I also want to use Bookr with these same 6th graders because I was going to have them type up a book on word and follow some very complicated steps to print it, but they would love Bookr and it would accomplish the same goal and save a few trees in the process. See I can embrace technology.
I also think that we need more than JUST 23 Things! We need 23 Things round 2 and so on to expose us to all of these great tools, and I also would like to see this spread to teachers. I would love to see our teachers learn about these tools, but they just don't have the same wonderful opportunities that we do. How can we help them?
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment